Sunday, February 12, 2017

Research Diary #2


What is your topic? Or what are your key words thus far?

My topic has to do with herd immunity in schools and belief exemptions. Some keywords I have used in my search for articles include: Herd immunity, vaccine exemptions, vaccination rates.



What is your research question? Have you decided to change it at all? And, if you have, how do I know that the way in which this question is formulated is appropriate to conduct a literature review with a systematic approach? 

My research question is "what has herd immunity in schools done to vaccine rates as well as personal belief exemptions?". I changed it a little in the sense of actually figuring out what I wanted to say, what interested me and what I wanted to research more. 



What is your hierarchy of evidence? And how do I know you going about finding the most appropriate evidence/method for your research question?

My hierarchy of evidence is something I also see being a little bit of this, a little bit of that. I see a lot of theory and practice literature in my future though. I think I am going about finding the most appropriate evidence/method because I have already looked through a lot of articles, therefore sorting out the things that are irrelevant to m research topic and only trying to include what will send my research forward. 



How do I know that the remit of the method itself is selecting the research, rather than just you on a whim? + 1 thing you found interesting + how you imagine using the source

I don't know how to answer the first part of this question, so I'm just going to say you'll just have to trust me on this one? However, one thing I did find interesting was the article "Hurdles to Herd Immunity: Distrust of Government and Vaccine Refusal in the US, 2002-2003". I plan on using this source to show the way vaccines were totally refused at one point, even 15 years ago when people were still mostly following whatever the media or government told them to do. However, in this article it shows that people were taking vaccines seriously to a new level, they wanted to actually know what was going into their children's bodies, as well as how that leads to outbreaks in something that could have been prevented.


No comments:

Post a Comment